Tuesday 5 January 2010

Feeding the Kids 3 - Flint Family Special!!

Getting the take-away food ready to hand out.

Mmm, polony sandwiches... ;-)

Ready to head home with heavy packets... Thank you Flint Family!!


The Flint family (from Lionsraw) helped out with feeding the kids last Tuesday (29th Dec) and generously provided all the food and drink for the kids. It was a veritable feast for them!

On the menu were polony sandwiches, which is kind of a pink luncheon meat with a label 'no pork' on the side of the packet (I guess that's for those who don't eat pork, but it does make me wonder just what it is made of!!), cold baked beans and mayo mix, crisps, apples and bananas, and milk to drink. To take home the kids had cabbage, onions, potatoes, carrots, soya mix, maize meal, porridge and more fruit. Seeing them heading off with their heavy bags was great. Some of them have perfected the art of carrying bags on their heads and set off like that.

27 children turned up, which took my total of kids on my list to 85. Each week new children turn up and we'll feed anyone who comes. We even gave some to a child from another school who was loitering and Neil managed to pray for him too.

For the first week or two the children had been quite shy and had just eaten, taken whatever we could give them and then left. This week they were a little more relaxed and chatty. My communication in Zulu is improving too and I managed to give a whole set of directions to them and they understood - hurrah! I can't wait to get back to studying more Zulu when customs finally release my box of belongings later this week (a month late - that's not bad for this country... but seeing as the majority of my clothes are also in the box, I'm looking forward to getting it soon!!)

Outside, as they were posing for a photo, the boys were telling me that they are going to call me 'umlungu', which translates as 'white person'. I told them to call me Caroline but little Sanele called me over and in Zulu said to me something along the lines of 'But you are MY umlungu'!! Sweet.

Everyone left happy and full. Thanks again to Neil, Debbie and Alexandra for all their help this week... Siyabonga Kakhulu!