Tuesday 16 February 2010

Kids' Club 2


Today it seems to be even hotter than usual. Everyone's flaking out, I think it's about 34 degrees C and sunny. Building up to a storm, no doubt... Anyway, that meant football for the boys was cancelled again so Steve and Sean came to help me with the Kids' Club instead.


I always knew that these younger groups might be a challenge and the Grade R-1 group only had 4 children today, all of whom were happy to throw the inflatable dice around. However they were too intimidated, I think, to say anything beyond telling me their names. These children have no knowledge of English at all so communicating with them will be difficult. They enjoyed doing the craft and decorating their treasure boxes though.

The Grades 2-3 were a totally different story. These children are the ones with whom I've spent the most time in the playground so far and they rushed in eager to see what might happen and quick to greet me with a hug. They were a lively group (see photo above) and they managed to understand what I was trying to teach them. I used a lot of Zulu with them and they seemed to get it! I really need to get learning some more Zulu though, it's annoying to be unable to say sometimes simply phrases... I'll get there!