Tuesday 4 May 2010

Kids' Club - Pompoms...

check out the pile of desks behind!!

today was pompom-tastic!!

After several weeks off, due to various holidays, I finally got to reconnect with my younger group today. Their normal classroom is being refurbished still so we were put into a hall that is full of school stuff - mostly thrown in there! It was like walking into Aladdin's cave for the kids and I had to check all of their pockets on the way out to remove various chalks and pens that they were trying to swipe...
I only saw the kids for half an hour as they'd had samp and beans for lunch as a special, but it had taken longer than planned to cook and so lunch time ran into lesson time. The children quickly picked up on how to make pompoms when I showed them the craft activity that we are doing for a couple of weeks. Even the Grade R child was making good progress. There was a concentrated hush in the room as they focused on winding the wool onto the cardboard disks and all were amazed when I demonstrated how to wind on a new bit of wool and change colour. How great to be a small child and to marvel at something so simple! These children don't have many toys and I'm sure these pompoms, once finished, will be treasured and not trashed...