Thursday 6 May 2010

Kids' Club - Tidying

BEFORE

AFTER

My older kids were in the same classroom as on Tuesday. As a 'team-building' exercise, I got the kids today to take ownership and tidy the place up. There wasn't room for them all before anyway. The kids set about their task with gusto.

Every Friday after lunch the children are used to tidying and cleaning their classrooms so they knew exactly what to do and did really well at clearing away the mess. Most of it was just put to one side and I didn't dare attempt to sort out the mountain of desks, but we reclaimed a couple to use in future sessions.

School in SA is quite informal and various kids wandered in to help move things as well as looking hopefully at all the stuff. I instructed them not to steal anything and I think this was adhered to, although you never know! A couple of kids came to ask me if they could take stuff, but all they wanted was rubbish so it was fine! Even 'rubbish' can be exciting when you don't have much...